Monday 18 February 2013

:: homemade almond butter ::

So far I've kept up to my promise[s] to Jason that I would make more healthy snacks when I finished up work, as well as make [more] use of my Themomix. I've made a few great thermomix meals, and now I'm looking into more snacks that I can throw into his lunchbox, rather than chucking in a couple of sugar-syrup-saturated museli bars.

I came across a very simple looking recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie (who is a brilliant source for all things rich, decadent and waistline-friendly) which didn't have any weird ingredients (so you can all make it!) except that it contained almond butter. 

I have never even tasted almond butter, but how hard could it be? So I popped on Pinterest for a recipe to discover that it was even easier than I thought. It's just: almonds. Roasted almonds and a pinch of salt for good measure. Brilliant!


How to: Make your own Almond Butter

1. Roast roughly 2 cups of raw almonds on a baking tray in the oven for about 15mins on 200C, 
until they have that nice roasty flavour and are a bit crisper to taste.

2. Blend in a food processor or Thermomix until it turns to butter. It will start out looking like almond flour/meal but just keep that baby going until it starts getting moist. 

3. Throw in a pinch of salt. Keep it going to your desired consistency. I hear this can be about 15 mins in a food processor. The Thermomix took about 2 mins.

Spread on apple slices, banana, bread... spoon into your mouth... Use in recipes. Yum.






5 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I'm really loving almonds at the moment, and this I sure would be especially yum!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Totally going to do this. costco sells the most amazing almonds - in bulk too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great in smoothies too. You'll love it Bec!
      Oh, so jealous of your Costco...!

      Delete
  3. You useded my dish!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a bit of love behind in my comment box!