Tuesday 2 October 2012

:: lemon yoghurt muffins ::

 

Do you live in a town where everyone has an ancient lemon tree in their front (or back) yard, just dribbling with neon yellow lemons?? Everyone but YOU?? I mostly cruise past them in the car, gazing at the incredible capcity these trees have, and just thinking how the people that live there really can't be using a 16th of them.

So one day (last year actually, though I have done it since) I summoned up the courage to go knock on a stranger's door, and plead for 'just a few' (meaning, two shopping bags full) of their lemons. My smile won the day and I returned home successful.

One unsuccessful batch of lemon curd (or lemon butter) later, I had 6 jars of non-set, separating lemon curd. Any ideas of sweetly 're-paying' the neighbour with a jar topped in gingham quickly went out the window. (P.S. I know what I did wrong, it was pretty blonde).

Thankfully, the curd preserved nicely (at least I can steralise jars) and it's been sitting neglected in my pantry quite fresh. And today, I found the perfect use for the silly stuff. A recipe that I didn't even realized contained lemon curd until I got it home (stolen from a lunchroom magazine). What joy!

They are a lot yummier than they look in the pictures, and I had ever-so-many compliments when I took a batch to work. If you have curd, it's a must try!


LEMON YOGHURT MUFFINS

Makes 12
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins

1 1/2 cups SR flour
1/2 teas baking powder
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup thick and creamy vanilla yoghurt
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 Tabs finely grated lemon rind
1 Tab lemon juice
4 1/2 Tas lemon curd

1. Grease a 12-hole muffin pan (that medium one).
2. Combine flour, powder and sugar in a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Combine eggs, yoghurt, butter, rind and juice in another bowl. Stir this into the flour mixture until just combined. Don't overmix.
4. Divide 3/4 of the mixture evenly among pan holes. Place 1.5 teas of lemon curd in each hole. Top with remaining muffin mixture.
5. Cook in a mod-hot oven (190C) for 20 mins or until cooked through.
6. Let to sit for 5 mins before cooking on wire rack. Serve warm or cold dusted with sifted icing sugar.






2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found a use for your lemon curd! I tried making it once and also didn't achieve a great result. At least you could use it! ;) Enjoy muffins - they look really yummy! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmmmmmmmy. I LOVE lemon butter. Pity I don't have any lemons!
    PS what'd you do wrong the first time you made it?!!! :-P

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a bit of love behind in my comment box!